Thursday, July 7, 2011

Quilt

When I was pregnant with Maia, Aleks and I signed up to take birthing classes at the hospital.

They gave us clothespins to stick on our ears to simulate the pain of childbirth.
Helpful, huh?

However, we did make some amazing friends in that class.

There are three of us who have stayed in touch and regularly get together. Our oldest children are all the same age.

Chelsea got pregnant when her oldest was 6 months old. When she told me, I said something along the lines of "no way," but littered with profanity. I never should have laughed. Two months later I was pregnant with Ruby.

Now, Megan is pregnant with #2! Her bundle of joy will most likely come after we've moved to Wichita. 

I'm heartbroken that I won't be here to meet this little pumpkin.

Chelsea and I decided to make a quilt for Megan and her new baby.

Chelsea comes from a long line of very crafty ladies.

And now that I think about it, I do too.
However, I'm not super crafty. I'd like to be. And I'd like to sew more. 
I think my problem is that I'm too impatient. And have you ever looked at the patterns that say "Easy/Facile"? It's like trying to read Portuguese.

Chelsea has a great book called "Super Simple Quilts."
Right up my alley.

And you know what? By asking for help and getting some clarification, it wasn't too hard!

We decided that we would each piece a side and then put it together as a double-sided quilt.

I credit the great colors to Chelsea. She's got an amazing eye and isn't afraid of color. If it was up to me, it probably would have been a study in beige.

I also have to give a shout out to my friend Jodi who let me use some of her equipment and patiently showed me how to quilt and add binding.

And now I'm hooked. I can't wait to make another quilt.

Here's my side.

Finished!

Chelsea's side

I hope Megan's little baby will feel all the love that was sewn into this quilt. I also hope that when Megan sees it she's reminded of her other mommy friends who love her dearly.

2 comments:

  1. em, this is AH-MAZING. you are so talented. i can't believe it was your first go. i'd be so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously this is an amazing quilt! There is no doubt he will feel the love that was put into making it. I too would have been overwhelmed with such a great task but you mastered it! well done :)

    ReplyDelete