Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Training

I've started week 5 of my 10 week training schedule.
To run a half marathon.

I'm proud to say I haven't missed a workout.

The ironic thing is, I'm not sure that I'm actually going to run a half marathon when I originally planned, but hey, training is the most important part, right?

It's probably good that I'm putting off the actual race.
While I'm running the miles and doing the tempo runs and all that, it's been taking place at the gym. And from what I've heard from other people and read in magazines, is that the treadmill is a lot easier than the reality of pavement.

The thing is, it's still really hot here. Today it's supposed to get to 102 degrees and this morning the humidity was 82%.

Tuesday morning is a preschool day for Maia and it was either take Ruby for a 3 mile run in the stroller (something I vowed never to do again) or wait and do it tonight at 8:00.

I opted for an AM run.
And I was sopping wet by the time I got home.
For one thing, it was like running in a cloud, but with the sun out. I could actually feel the moisture in the air when I inhaled.
And the other thing is that the tires in the stroller were a bit flat and I couldn't find our pump, so I ended up pushing a stroller with low tire pressure.

I think when it gets cooler and if I can find the pump, I might venture out again with Ruby. She really is a pleasant running partner.
She's quite content to sit quietly, eating her cereal and pointing out the various sights.

While I'm complaining about the heat, I know a guy who's training for the Chicago marathon and he did his long run yesterday in the early evening, when it was 106. 
So, clearly he's either crazy or made of tougher stuff than I am.

It's nice to have a goal and a specified training schedule. As with everything in life, it's so much easier to follow through when there is a plan.

This week is crazy. I'm putting together a concert of new music by Kansas composers, and most of my nights this week are filled with rehearsals or doing administrative things. I'm also preparing a thank you dessert evening for the composers and performers the night before.
If I can get my runs in this week it'll be a miracle, but I'm determined.

As I look out the window right now, I can see the sky getting dark, maybe we'll have a break in the weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment