Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pancakes

You probably didn't know this, but I'm famous in my house for my delicious pancakes.
I'm like a pancake Master Chef.

Here's how I do it:

I mix all the dry ingredients together.


And then I add the wet ingredients to the dry.


*Gasp*


Just mix it until it's all incorporated.
None of that mix the dry and wet separately, then add them together nonsense.


I cook them in a non-stick skillet, dry.
And here's an important detail: use med-low heat.
If anything, it's better that the skillet be too cool than too hot.
Black pancakes on the outside with gooey insides= n'est pas bien.


Wait until bubbles appear and flip!
The second side cooks for significantly less time than the first.


Et voila!
Delicious pancakes!


My girls eat these dry, no butter or syrup.

This will last us three days, if I'm lucky.


Pancakes
2 cups flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
2 cups milk
1-2 teaspoons vanilla

*I almost always use oil. I can't be bothered with melting butter and the resulting greasy dish.

*I use whatever milk I have on hand. Now that Ruby is almost 2, we just have non-fat, but my favorite is to use 1 cup of non fat and 1 cup of whole milk. I've made it with soy milk (terrible) and almond milk (better), but the mixture of the non-fat and whole just seems to be the best.

*If I have vanilla in the house I'll use it, but they're still pretty good without it.

*After I make a batch, I let them cool, then pile them into a ziplock bag and stick them in the freezer. When the girls want some, I microwave them for about 30 sec. per pancake.

1 comment: