Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Preschool Happenings

Maia came home today giggling and so very excited about school.
She was "Student of the Day"
And, as she kept reminding me, "the leader."



Maia also said something about pretending there was a fire and hiding behind a tree and being scared, but Mrs. Patrick didn't know she was nervous, and then Maia started laughing and said "that was so silly."

I'm finding that Maia has lots of preschool stories to tell and I end up putting pieces together, trying to see the big picture.

Last week, Maia told us that she had a "dramatic throat" at school. She was nervous because Akaine kept running away. She doesn't like the boys and that "they have to do what I say." 

I was quick to point out that being bossy isn't a good quality in a friend and instead she should politely ask friends if they would like to play with her.
We also reassured Maia that she doesn't have to play with the boys, but she does need to be polite and kind to them. 

Wednesday night as I was putting Maia to bed, she said "I'm nervous about school tomorrow." When I asked her why, she said it was because she couldn't run fast. On Thursdays she has gym and I immediately thought that maybe she was feeling insecure about having to run in class. I told her, "you don't have to run fast, you just run the best that you can." That seemed to soothe her and she rolled over, ready to sleep.

When I picked Maia up from school the next day, I made sure to check in with Mrs. Patrick. I wanted to be sure that Maia wasn't bossing the other kids around and that she was listening and being obedient.
Well, I finally got the whole story.

A little boy, in Maia's class, had just turned 3 and, as they found out, is not quite ready for preschool.
Mrs. Patrick words were "he's a runner." 
On the Tuesday of that week, she had been helping a little girl in the bathroom, when all of a sudden she heard the other kids yelling, "Akaine, Akaine, come back!" Apparently Akaine had decided to make a break for it was was running away from the classroom down the hall. 
All week Maia had been feeling worried about him, and I guess, worried that she couldn't run fast enough to stop him.

I couldn't stop laughing as Mrs. Patrick was telling me this story. Looking back, I hope she wasn't offended that I wasn't more concerned. 
Preschool teachers are amazing people.

Lately Maia has been asking us "why do you love me?" She loves to hear all the different reasons we give. It's a good reminder for me, to give these little girls daily verbal, detailed, affirmations of what makes them special. Although, I think Ruby would rather have hugs and kisses.

The Sternfeld-Dunn household continues to give preschool an A+!

1 comment: