Saturday, May 12, 2012

My week without Facebook

My week off from Facebook was strangely effect-less.
However, it did coincide with the week that I read Quiet by Susan Cain, which effected me greatly.

It's a fantastic look at the culture of extroverts and introverts, with a sympathetic slant toward introverts.

Here are the 2 main things I got from this book.
1. I'm an introvert.
We all lie somewhere on the spectrum between extrovert and introvert, but I am heavy introverted. This acknowledgement is a big deal to me because my profession requires heavy interaction with people. I really enjoy what I do and I like, dare I say, love my students. Since reading this book I've realized that I've created an extroverted persona that helps me to do my job effectively. Which leads me to my second point.

2. I've got to carve out restorative niches for myself throughout each day.
While I may appear to handle situations in an extroverted manner, it comes at a cost. On Fridays this semester, I taught from 9-5 with a 1/2 hour break for lunch. Some of you might think, "That's not a big deal, I work 12 hours days 5 days a week!" Keep in mind that what I do (outlined in this blog post)* is one on one interaction in which I must communicate ideas on a subjective topic to people of all different personality types. 
Exhausting for an introvert like me.
So, if I want to continue to be good at what I do and be a patient mother and support my husband in the way he needs, I've got to find times throughout my day to recharge.

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to know more about psychology and personality and wants to improve their quality of life. I'm sure I will be going back to this one many times.

Other than reading a great book and learning how to be a better person, here's what happened this week.

Aleks got his regalia and participated in graduation as a professor. He came back from the ceremony with his super cute "I'm so thankful for how supportive you've been of my education" and "I think you should get a doctorate" talk.



I had my second biopsy yesterday.
This dude is my endocrinologist.
Personally, he drives me crazy. I think he's annoying and superfluous in his bedside manner.


He didn't numb the area with local anesthetic.
And thought that he should do 1 of the 4 swipes without the ultrasound.
You know, since it was a superficial growth and he could hold it in his fingers and just do it by "feel."


But, I'm in significantly less discomfit this time, so maybe he knows what he's doing.


And potty training continues with Maia. She goes when she wants to and doesn't when she's not into it. However, she knows that once this box of diapers is gone we're not buying more. Hopefully it won't be too traumatic for any of us.

Here she is with one of her potty prizes.
A wand!


Today Maia decided that we were all going to play sleepover.
(My new favorite game. Basically I can take a nap while Maia and Ruby arrange and rearrange their blankets.)
As Maia was tucking in "real tight" I heard her say to Ruby "sleep well sister" and then give her a kiss.
And that's what it's all about people.



*That student in my previous post who slammed the door in tears? She's like a different kid this semester. Totally respectful and open. She's made a ton of progress vocally and got approved to give a senior recital.

No comments:

Post a Comment