Friday, August 17, 2012

New Piano

We arrived back in Kansas from our 3 week vacation on a Saturday.
The next morning, my late grandmother's piano was delivered to our house.


The movers had picked up the piano while we were in CA.
When the kids and I went to visit a few days later, it was surprising to me how little of an emotional reaction I had.

Aunt Annie says I have no soul.

Understandably, my mom and her siblings had quite an emotional reaction to the piano being gone.

Grandma's piano had been in the same spot in their house my entire life.
I remember countless "recitals" for my aunts and uncles and cousins on that piano.
When I lived there my freshman year of college, I certainly did not take full advantage of my priveleged accommodations.

And I had, and still have mixed emotions about accepting such a gift.
My Grandfather is in the process of reducing his estate as he is making plans to move in the next year or so.
It was hard for me to "take" the piano while he is still in his house.
To me, the piano = Grandma.
Even though Grandpa so graciously gave it to us, and assured me that he's happy the piano has a home, it feels a little like we're taking one more piece of grandma away.

While the empty spot in Grandpa's house was a surprising non-event for me, it's a different story with Grandma's piano in our house.

I finally feel like we have a home.



When Maia first sat on that black bench with the lid raised, I suddenly understood the possibilities for my girls' musical educations.
I realized how my mom and her mom must have felt listening to me play "Black Bears 123" as a five year old.
And while I've always felt connected to my musical heritage, I now have a physical reminder in my house.
There is a lot of history in this piano.
So many happy, fearful, joyous, hilarious, frustrating, and creative memories were created on that bench.


I wish this picture had audio capabilities.
Not only were they "tickling the ivories", but also singing at the top of their lungs.
A happy cacophony.
I hope this west coast piano will be content in our midwest home.

Thank you Grandpa for this gift, not just of the piano, but of the musical heritage you've passed down.
I know Grandma would love hearing her great granddaughters play on her piano.

1 comment:

  1. That is so wonderful Emily! It is awesome to have that reminder in your home of the past and seeing the potential of the future. Your girls will benefit so much from it.

    ReplyDelete