Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Flower-gedden

Three weeks ago I went to Michaels to buy some felt for a possible Valentine's Day project.

(Here it is- completed a day before Valentine's Day)

I also purchased a 6 inch florists styrofoam ball.


I saw this on Pinterest and was interested in replicating it for Maia's room:

Paper Hanging Topiary


My sister-in-law taught me how to make felt flowers, and since I love felt, I thought I'd use it instead of paper.

I headed back to Michaels, where I picked up 16 sheets of pink felt. I cut each sheet in half and then created ovals by rounding the corners. I cut the ovals into spirals and cut a wiggly edge on the outside of the spiral.


Then I rolled the felt, starting at the outside end until I got to the middle. I used a glue gun to secure the finished flower.


Once the flowers were made, I glued them to the ball. 



So, 16x2= 32 flowers. 
Which covered a little less than half the ball.
As I was gluing flower 25 or so, I began to grasp the enormity of this project.

So, back to Michaels, where I picked up 14 more sheets of pink felt, which created 28 more flowers.

This time, the felt sat on my work table for a week.

Finally, this past weekend I buckled down and whipped up more flowers.


And then I started gluing them onto the ball.
And realized that I was still going to need more flowers.


So, Aleks was still out of town and we happened to be by Joann's, so I picked up 7 more sheets of pink felt there. That night I cut, and rolled, and glued with a renewed sense of determination and drive. Then I took the flowers upstairs to glue them onto the ball and discovered that it was a different shade of pink.

Blerg.

At this point, the felt flower ball was not going to win.
The next day I went to Michaels with a scrap of the correct felt and finished this sucker.

I used a glue gun to attach a hook to the ball. I'm a little concerned about the weight of the whole thing and have daymeres of it falling on Maia's head in the middle of the night, but Aleks seems to think it will hold.


I was going to wait until it was hung to post this, but honestly, I don't know when that is going to happen. So, here it is finished (all 74 flowers!) and I'll be sure to add a picture of it hanging in Maia's room at some point.


The original plan was to create three of these in different colors, but I don't know if it's worth it.


If you're laid up in bed for a few days, I'd say go for it and make your own. 
Otherwise, this might be one decoration worth buying.





No comments:

Post a Comment