Saturday, May 28, 2011

A taste of the goodbyes to come


Tonight I was reminded of the bitter part of my bittersweet feelings about moving.

Keri, Andy, and Alden have been dear friends of ours since we've been in Pullman these last 3 years.


(Old picture from Dec. 2009)



They are all going to Thailand for 4 months on Monday because Keri was awarded a Fullbright Scholarship! (We're so excited for her. And her tenure binder!)

This means that I had to say goodbye tonight.

It's funny how having kids can really connect you to a place.
Being pregnant at the same time as a friend has the same effect. I don't know if we would have been as close to Keri and Andy if we hadn't had our kids around the same time, but I'm sure glad we did.

It was so great to have a friend like Keri with whom I could be a first-time mom. The summer after Maia and Alden were born will always be filled with golden memories of sitting together, nursing our babies, and talking about sleep, poop, spit up, or other baby related topics.

Among other things, Andy can always be counted on for his dry sense of humor and delicious meals. He passed on an amazing bagel recipe, which is the only way to get a decent bagel in the Palouse.

We are going to miss their friendship so very much.

But Aleks and I aren't the only ones who will be leaving dear friends behind.




Maia loves her Alden.




Especially in the last couple of months, Maia and Alden have really been playing together. Several times we've caught them hugging in Maia's room.
(Now that I think about it, maybe it's the perfect time for us to be leaving...)



Saying goodbye tonight really caught me off-guard. I'm no stranger to moving and all that it involves. However, this place and the people here seem to have gotten under my skin a bit more than usual.

Maybe that's why lately all I've wanted to do is lay on the couch and eat cookies.

But, I try to remind myself that it doesn't have to be goodbye forever. Life is funny and who knows when we'll be together again.

Until then, safe travels to our dear friends as they head to Thailand! We'll be thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment