Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Spring in DC

I'm still flying high after my weekend in Washington DC. That city is magic.
It didn't hurt that the weather was perfect.

I loved the bustle of everyone in suits, the architecture, the history, the food, the people. It reminded me that I'm meant to be in a city. The energy is vibrant and exciting. 

For so long I've felt suffocated and I didn't even realize it until this weekend. This trip has rejuvenated me. Shoot, I actually enjoyed talking and hanging out with people.

The most amazing thing of my time in DC was a coincidental encounter with my second cousin! It was the best way to start off the trip. Not only did I have a resident of DC to tell me how to get around and all the cool things to do, but I got to know Emily better and really enjoyed our immediate familial connection. Matteson genes are strong!





My hotel was definitely rustic and historical. Friday morning, I was woken up at 5 am (4 am Wichita time) by a chirping smoke detector outside my hotel room. I couldn't figure out how to turn on the bathroom light, so I hopped on a bike and met my student at Founding Farmers for breakfast. It was so great to hear about his experience during the week and share in the excitement of it all. After breakfast we walked back to the Kennedy Center, where we went up to the terrace to look over the city before his day started.


On my own again, I walked along the Potomac River where Obama's helicopter flew by (actually, I don't know that for sure, but I like to think it was him) and ended up at the Lincoln Memorial.







In the afternoon I followed the advice of my cousin and head to the Renwick Gallery. It turned out to be a highlight of my short visit. There are 8 rooms, each of which contains an installation by different artists. I've never seen so many smiles in an art gallery before.









The walls of this room were covered with insect taxidermy.


I spent some time sitting in front of the White House, people watching and enjoying the sunshine. And then I got hit on by a DC cop on a motorcycle. He gave me his card and told me to let him know the next time I was in town and he'd take me to the top of the Washington Monument. I immediately called Aleks to giggle about it. The thing is, for so many months I've been made to feel worthless and invisible. It was nice to be noticed.

Before my evening engagement, I had dinner with some friends from CT at the Fainting Goat. If you're in DC, you should definitely give this restaurant a try. I loved looking at these row houses as I walked around the city.


That night my student participated in the national Kennedy Center for Arts Theater Festival as a regional winner from Region 5.  He sang powerfully and was charismatic. I was probably more nervous than he was, but so proud. He represented all those who have invested in him so wonderfully.


This face is going places!



In light of the major changes in my life and my birthday, the timing for this trip could not have been more perfect. I left DC, completely exhausted, but also rejuvenated and lit from the inside. I'll be honest, on Sunday as I was preparing for the week ahead, a moment of panic washed over me as I realized life is going to look much different for me very soon. However, I feel alive again. I'm coming back to myself and Goodness, in whatever form it takes, is on its way.



No comments:

Post a Comment