Sunday, January 26, 2014

This post contains some poop talk

Two weeks ago, Aleks and I (well mostly Aleks) were engaged in a tumultuous pooping debacle.

Ruby refused to go.
She would hold it in for days and days, until we'd end up cleaning several pairs of underwear a day.
Was it because she couldn't go or because she wouldn't go?

Potty time because a struggle. 
She'd get incredibly grumpy and horrid to be around until we'd be forced to make her sit on the toilet, screaming and hitting us.

We'd try threatening and rewarding and reading books and schedules and nothing seemed to make a difference.

Until one day, when she and I were alone, Ruby headed to the potty and went by herself.
It wasn't easy, but there were no tears or screaming and she did it all herself.
Ever since that day, Ruby has taken care of business like a boss.

I wish I knew what changed, but it doesn't really matter I suppose.

My friend Christy has a 6 month old and is going through sleep training woes that completely remind me of our experience with Maia.

And now that I've gone through it, the perspective is priceless.

It's the same with Ruby and her pooping.
When we were in the heat of battle, it was so hard to see how she would ever figure it out.
But they do somehow.
Figure out how to poop and sleep.

We are miles ahead of where we were last year.

------------------------------

We had a fantastic time in Arizona.
Aleks ran his first half marathon and I had a running buddy.

I gave a recital and got to collaborate with my mom.
It's a good thing we don't live closer, I'd probably take advantage of her skills way too many times.
It was a great concert with a fantastic, large audience, and some really fine music making.
I had a lot of fun.


On the first day my mom pulled out the costume box and Ruby found an adult-sized costume meant to be worn over a leotard.
Girlfriend wore that thing for 2 days straight.



The girls and I spent a full day at the Phoenix Children's Museum.
I'm still convinced it's one of the best in the country.




My mom asked me if I had a book to read on the flight home.
I laughed, rolled my eyes, and said "Yeah, right. Like I'm going to have time to read."
Well, I ate my words.
Thanks to Melissa and Doug (as always!), my girls colored for an hour straight (out of an hour and 45 minute flight)!


And we got to see a beautiful sunset.



We did have one little incident as we were deplaning.

I'm pretty sure Maia tooted and the next thing I heard was Ruby's clear, projected voice announcing "it smells like penis!"

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps she meant to say "peanuts," but she's very articulate and doesn't usually have problems pronouncing words.
On the other hand, it's not like she knows what a penis smells like.

I didn't push the topic.

------------------------------

Yesterday Maia went to a birthday party.
After watching sticking with the slide and trampoline, Maia summoned up her courage and tried the zip line!
I'm excited to see bravery become part of her character. 
I hope she encounters life's challenges the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment