Friday, March 15, 2013

Growing Up

I kissed the girls goodbye today as I left for work. They were lying on our bed, watching the iPads while Daddy took a quick shower. They're headed to the zoo this morning.
Ruby gave my a big hug and smooched me as I said goodbye.
Maia, barely glanced my direction and I had to tickle her to get some eye contact.
A big part of their personalities is evident in their goodbyes. 
Ruby is always ready for any kind of physical contact and gives the best hugs.
Maia, on the other hand, becomes so focused on the event at hand that it's extremely hard to break into the bubble she's formed around herself.
Even when she isn't pre-occupied, Maia's hugs usually consist of a half hearted lean into whomever she is hugging.

As I drove to work, I was thinking about these girls and how Maia is already pulling away from me. We're losing a bit of that connection as she discovers the world and realizes everything that exists outside of her mama.
I understand this is the way things happen and in a certain sense, I'm grateful for it. 
But, a lot of our interactions lately have involved me saying "no" and "please don't climb on the table" and "go slowly while you're carrying your milk to the table" and the most repeated "get your fingers out of your mouth!"

She does still crave my attention. 
Mostly through playing dog; where she's the dog and Ruby is the mom and I'm the grandma. It involves me holding a conversation in a grandma voice while she responds with "Arf." Or she wants to play Minnie. Which means that I'm Goofy and I talk in a funny voice.
Neither game is my favorite.

This week I finally changed my email over to a google account. I've had the yahoo one forever and it's a ton of work to switch over. Mostly, it's stressful trying to think of all the accounts that need to be changed.  I think it's worse than changing your mailing address, everything is electronic now. I'm just hoping that I haven't forgotten anything. A lot of my time this week has been spent in front of the computer.

All this to say, I think I need to play with my kids more. I need to set aside a certain amount of time a day, where I'm not cleaning or cooking or working and just focus on my kids. They want me to play with them now, even if it's on their terms, and I think, if I make the sacrifice now (getting licked by the "dog", talking in the Goofy voice for 20 minutes), then when they are older and less inclined to hang out with Mom, they'll know that I spend quality time with them and really listen. And they might just keep talking to me.

So, I hereby proclaim that the dishes and emails and bills can wait! 
Maia and Ruby, Goofy is coming your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment