Thursday, July 16, 2015

When it rains, it pours

As I wrote in my last post, we had an AMAZING time in California. Regardless of how wonderful a time one has on a vacation, a person is always excited to go home and sleep in their own bed. There was no exception for Aleks and I as we drive home from the new Eisenhower Airport on Saturday evening, with visions of our king size bed dancing before our eyes.

We arrived home without incident, found our home and dog well taken care of by a student of mine, and climbed the stairs to get ready for bed. As we ascended the stairs, the heat hit us like a boiling hot, wet sock.

Our air conditioning was broken.

The unit that services our upstairs is an older unit and has given us problems for the last three years. To make a long, boring story short, our home warranty is replacing our condenser which will hopefully fix the problem for good.

The bad news? We're without AC until Tuesday at the earliest. That's over a week of 90+ degree temps in our bedrooms.

Thankfully, we have a place to sleep (that's not our house) that is cool. So, we pack an over night bag each night and head to my mother in law's house to sleep in the blissful, cool air.

Meanwhile, Aleks is gone for a week to an artists' colony and I've decided to move ahead with my painting project. I was going to paint the upstairs hallway next, which would complete the entire top floor, but since it's hotter than hell up there, I'm doing the family room instead. Which is actually not great timing, considering that the top floor is off limits, and now the main floor is a disaster, so the areas suitable for playing have been reduced by 2/3. Thankfully, the girls have adapted rather well.


This morning it took me 4 hours to prime the entire room. I'm hoping tomorrow the color will go more quickly.

I keep telling myself the chaos now will be worth it when it's all done. It really is going to look good.

So, that's what we've been dealing with since coming home. I just keep the memory of the cool, crisp San Francisco air close at hand.

Stay cool, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment