Friday, October 10, 2014

Busy, busy bees

Lately I've been feeling the enormity of life. All of it's possibilities and responsibilities swirl through my head leaving me simultaneously exhausted and invigorated. And mostly I'm just trying to keep everyone in clean clothes and fed.

We have fall break on Monday and Tuesday and I'm going to paint the dining room and our bedroom.  Yesterday I emptied out the china hutch and started taping. Just that little bit was a nice change from the monotony of work and home life.

Our bordello dining room will soon be no more!



I also have a couple of Anna and Elsa capes I need to make before Halloween, so we'll see how productive I can be this weekend.

Meanwhile, our house is newly sided and is in the process of being painted. We settled on a light gray color with darker gray trim and dark blue for the door and shutters. The painters came two days ago to caulk and apply primer. They put plastic over all our windows and doors, which makes it seem as if it's perpetually foggy outside. A cool front blew in today and I've been dying to open up the house, but we also got rain and now I'm sure we won't have any painters at our house until Tuesday. Do you think I could tear down some of the plastic? The night after they caulked, our house was filled with paint fumes and I kept waking up in the middle of the night worried we were all being poisoned.

Here it is before the primer went on.


Yesterday Maia came home from school and said "Erin doesn't like me. She says I talk too much." When I asked how that made her feel, she said "Sad." I told her that not everyone was going to like her and that I thought she was special and a wonderful friend. She seemed to bounce back pretty quickly because the next thing out of her mouth was "How come you guys don't let me play Minecraft? Gracee plays it. Have you heard of it? Do you think it's too hard for me or what? Just tell me." Then, "Let me show you something Tyler taught me. Give me five. Up high. Down low. To the side. To the other side. In the middle. Up high. In space. In your face. HAHAHAHAHA!" And earlier  she was trying out some new words she had learned: "You know what I dangit?" Where did you hear that Maia? "At school, Tyler said it." Aleks said "that Tyler sounds like a bit of a troublemaker." Maia was quick to tell us "no! He's very kind to me. He was only inappropriate once, when he told me to say poop. He's my friend, I like him. He's funny."

Kindergarten is the best. I'm so glad Maia likes to tell us things,


While Maia is opening her arms to the world, running full force, Ruby is more reserved. Taking everything in quietly and feeling so very deeply all that she encounters. There have been a few tears over going to school and some days she needs cuddles and hugs more than others. Ruby is going to be my athletic one. She loves to race ahead of us on her scooter while we are walking Isabelle. She's got incredible upper body strength and an amazing throwing arm.



Lately it feels as if I'm zooming from one place to the next, constantly working. When I'm not in the car or working, I'm at home getting things prepared so that when I am working the house can run smoothly. It was the article floating around Facebook that made me realize I'm not a stay at home mom anymore and that I don't have to try and do it all. Once that lightbulb went off, I understood why I haven't been particularly happy the past few months. And it took some of the pressure off. So now, I'm making sure that there is a bit more leisure time in my life, which does not include playing with my kids or working out, but more reading and painting and projects.

Happy weekend friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment