Friday, May 23, 2014

Last day of Pre-K

Maia just had her last day of pre-k.
Which means, she's no longer pre.
She's a k.
Hold me.


Over my salad today, it hit me that Maia will never again go into Mrs. Burcham's classroom and sit down to do work jobs or centers. I won't see her running out of the door at pickup time, cheeks red from recess, looking around for her friends. (She can never get enough of her friends.) 

All of a sudden, just like that, it's over.

In all the busyness of my teaching schedule and the end of the year, I didn't properly prepare myself for this day and milestone. 

What a gift that children are so adaptable. We ask so much of our little people, to be flexible and accept change and do what we say. When do we lose that ability to relinquish control so easily? 

Actually, maybe I'm idealizing a bit. I happen to know a certain 3 1/2 year old who has a terrible time with not being in control and is currently figuring out a way to deal with life when things don't go her way. Like when THESE PANTS DON'T FEEL RIGHT ON MY ANKLES or THE BLANKET ISN'T LYING FLAT or THAT'S NOT HOW I WANT PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD ON MY CRACKERS

I digress.

Maia has grown so much this year. 
She's gotten taller and her hair has gotten longer. 



She's also matured emotionally and socially.


Maia and Vivi like to sing for the class during snack time.


Her fine motor skills have markedly improved.





And here's a book she wrote and illustrated this month.

My Work Book


This is my dad and some pretty flowers. 

 This is me at my house. These are the pretty flowers.

This is my house. My sister Ruby is looking at me.

My sister Ruby is at her school. She is doing puzzles.

 Ruby and I are playing tag.

 This is my mom and me standing with our eyes closed. We are thinking.

 This is my mom. She is at work.

The E
(upside down) Maia.

She told me she couldn't focus on the last page.

It's been a good year.
Next year we'll work on looking at the camera.


So, onto summer and all the sunscreen and chlorine filled days as time keeps marching on!

No comments:

Post a Comment