Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Make it work

The thing I miss most about living in California and Washington is the weather.

Here in Kansas it is often too hot or too cold to be outside, and then when it is nice, it's too windy.

But the past week or so has been heavenly. I feel like I was given a gift and as quick as I am to complain about Kansas, I then must also be quick to sing it's praises and acknowledge the cool temperatures and outside dinners we've been enjoying.

My parents just happened to visit during this week of temperate weather. It was a nice break from the 100+ temps in Arizona.

We sat outside one night after dinner, enjoying our pergola, bellies full of pork tenderloin cooked on the grill.

"A. My name is Alice. I come from Alaska with a basket full of apples."

The girls had joined us from their game on the swings. Something called "elements" that looked a lot like swinging and talking.

When we get to May, I'm usually frazzled and burnt out. Every year, I question my life choices, until I remember I always feel like this, during this month. Then after a week of wandering around my house, wondering what I'm forgetting to do, the fog begins to lift and I start having creative impulses and can stay awake past 9 o'clock.

"M. My name is Maia. I come from Minnesota with a basket full of mangoes."

These last few weeks I've been trying to be mindful of experiencing each moment. Not living in the future, filled with anxiety and list making.

Noticing the gentle rocking of my patio chair. Feeling my hair lift off my neck as a soft breeze comes across the yard. Appreciating the weight of my youngest as she sit in my lap, inhaling the smell of sun and dirt and childhood.

Summer is not without its challenges. Changing schedules and bored kids top the list.

However, I'm determined to enter this season fully in the present enjoying the life I'm creating for myself. Even if it is in Kansas.

"W. I come from Wichita with a basket full of wishes."

No comments:

Post a Comment