Sunday, July 10, 2016

Summer Vacation 2016: Part 1 of 3- Southern CA isn't all traffic and Botox

Tonight I lay in bed with my girls as they fell asleep. They tossed and turned for a bit, until their breathing became steady. I knew they were asleep when their muscles started twitching, no doubt reliving the running, jumping, handstands, and cartwheels from the day. They both wanted to sleep on my arms, so I had a wavy, dark-haired head on my right and a straight, blond head on my left. Vacation. Nowhere to be. The luxury of watching and feeling my girls fall into sleep for the night.

The girls have been sharing a bed for the past 8 days and it's been going fairly well. Except for the one time Ruby was overtired, well we were all overtired, and basically anytime Maia moved Ruby would explode in frustration that "Maia's pulling the blanket!" and eventually Ruby had all the blanket and we ended up giving Maia a beach towel which she found to be "really cozy!" and finally 45 minutes later they were asleep.

This was not that day. This was the day before and of course the picture I shared on social media, because it's idyllic, is it not?


The first day on the west coast is always the hardest with everyone waking up before the birds. We waited with open eyes in our dark hotel room, until we could just begin to see the sky change from black to light gray and then headed to the beach.

It was just us and the surfers.


We spent the 4th of July surrounded by Aleks' family and the beauty of oranges groves.


Uncle Greg had a stroke this last Thanksgiving. The entire family came together to help and through their love, Greg's stubborn nature, and the devoted care of his sister (my mother-in-law) Greg is home and doing better than anyone expected. Our 4th of July was a celebration of our country's independence, but also of Greg's tenacity and ability to host the annual party.


My girls had an amazing time.





The next day we headed to the beach, which as you can tell by daughters' faces, was highly anticipated.



Within 5 minutes Maia had a constant stream of spit sliding down her chin because the ocean was salty and kept pulling down her swim bottoms because she had a "sandy butt."


15 minutes after we got to the beach Ruby had to pee, so we walked a half mile down the beach to the public restrooms, during which a blister between Ruby's toes popped causing her to stop walking. Upon closer inspection, Ruby saw a loose piece of skin where the blister used to be and immediately began to wail that her toes hurt really bad. She took her flip flop off a had to walk right up against the cement rail to that she didn't burn her shoeless foot on the hot concrete. Total round trip took us about a half hour.

During our trek Aleks got an invite from his cousin to visit their place, which sits on a lagoon and has a bathroom. Needless to say, we were there 15 minutes later.


San Diego is a dream. We didn't experience too much traffic, I was warm during the day and a little chilly at night, which is how it should be. We saw the ocean, tasted the salt on our skin, and drove north with more vitamin D in our bodies than when we arrived.

On our trip to the Bay Area we stopped for brunch with my brother, who recently moved to LA with his girlfriend and dog. They are so dreamy and are going to thrive in that crazy city. I can't wait to see how their adventure unfolds.


(They took us to Sqirl, where I had the most amazing avocado toast. If you're in Echo Park, definitely check this place out.)
(I wanted to post a picture of my food, but tonight I'm feeling like I don't want to be one of those bloggers, so you'll just have to trust me that it was delicious.)

A few days ago Aleks asked me "so, what project are you looking forward to getting started on when we get home?"

Dude, I'm just getting the hang of vacation. Let's not get back to reality just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment