Sunday, May 22, 2016

Piano Recital

On Saturday Maia participated in her first piano recital! Well, technically, her first recital in a studio other than mine. She played three songs, two of which were from memory. We kind of relaxed a bit on the practicing until three days before the recital when, in a panic, I realized that it was only a few short days away.

Sometimes I get so fixated on details that I forget about the big picture. There were a couple of pauses and restarts during Maia's practicing and I was resigned to the idea that it wasn't going to be a stellar musical performance.

But, girlfriend pulled it off! I was impressed with her professionalism and musicality. She skipped an entire intro to one song and repeated a section 3 times instead of 2, but no one had a clue. She didn't miss a beat and had the cutest little smirk on her face. You can't teach those kind of skills.

(When I talked with her about it afterward, she insisted that she had played it correctly until I showed her the video. So maybe that's the trick: when you don't know you're wrong, it doesn't get in the way of a solid performance!)

I certainly would not wish a performing career on either of my kiddos and am far from expecting either of them to be piano prodigies. I'm just happy that Maia and Ruby are exercising their brains in this way and hopefully gaining confidence as young women by accomplishing the goals set before them.



I think they're just in it for the ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment